Thursday, October 9, 2014

What I Am Reading-October Edition

Let's see...I finished Ocean at the End of the Lane. Loved it. It was literally perfection.  Not a romance really, but it was magical, horrible, and exquisite all at the same time. I'm still thinking about it.

Also, I really liked I Want Candy, which featured the world's longest sex scene, that was pretty hot, but also kind of weird. I can't decide if it was hotter or weirder. A tie, I guess. But still a very fun book.

Okay, so now for this month.
The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand
Okay, so I l didn't love the cover, but I loved this book. It was a different kind of romance set in an amazing restaurant in Nantucket and the descriptions of menus and imagery were really fabulous. I felt like the characters were believable, the loyalty in the story was just...sigh. My only sort of criticism is that there was a long part toward the end that I felt like kind of dragged out a bit, and then the resolution was sort of dealt with too quickly and incompletely. Even so, I really liked this book. It left me hoping for a sequel. Elin Hilderbrand is a wonderful writer.  She almost made me forget that my only experience with Nantucket was a police officer accidentally accusing me of being nude when I was wearing my light pink J. Crew bikini on a trip there in high school.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
 One of my delightful book-club friends picked this book for our read this month.  It's really interesting. I was hooked right away. Secret codes, ancient tomes, hackers. Um, yes. Sign me up. I'm not too far in but I'm sort of hoping it's going to be like Alif the Unseen meets the DaVinci Code.
Love in a Nutshell by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly
 I'm about halfway through this and I'm not loving it. If I have an extreme change of heart, you might here more from me, otherwise, eh.

And below are the Bookbub deals I got this week (FREE! Yay!) and will read this month as soon as I'm done with the rest of the group.  I'm really looking forward to them all.  They're totally different from each other and should be quite entertaining.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment