Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Finally done with the first draft of my latest work, Chasing Storm.  It's full of strong tornadoes and even stronger chemistry.
 
Here's an excerpt.  Enjoy!
“Alright, I’m here.  I’m here.”  Jen pushed past Anna through the open doorway.  “I brought the wine,” she announced swinging the bottle over her shoulder as she strode into the kitchen.
“Pour me a big one,” Anna said as she tagged behind.
Anna’s kitchen was a small galley style with a cutout that faced into the living room area.  It was modern and clean with bright pendant lighting, glistening stainless steel appliances, and white cupboards and quartz countertops, which were covered with small takeout boxes from the local thai place.  Jen looked over the selection and scooped out some rice and cashew chicken.  She pushed herself onto the counter and immediately started pushing the food into her mouth with chopsticks.
“Spill,” she said through a mouth full of food.
Anna filled a goblet with the Georgia scuppernong and took a large swig, filling her mouth with the spicy sweetness before she spoke. “They want us to share the show.”
“You got the show!?  That’s great! I thought you called me to mope.  This is a celebration!”
“Jen, are you listening?  They want me to co-host the show with that…that Creighton.”
Jen plucked Anna’s glass off of the counter and took a gulp.  “Creighton?  I thought he was hot…Wow, I picked a good one.  I forgot how much I love scuppernong.”
“Mmmm…I hadn’t noticed,” Anna lied.  
“Yeah, right.”  Jen eyed her critically as she filled her own glass neatly to the brim.  “Just the fact that you’re denying means you thought he was really hot.”
“In that case, I admit that he is reasonably attractive.  But that’s not the point.”
Jen sighed audibly.  “What’s the point then?”
“I can’t do it.”
“Of course you can.”
“Nope, it would be torture.”
“Oh, yes, the absolute torture of being on a television show with a gorgeous hunk.  The horror!” Jen mocked.
“Jen!  I’m serious—I can’t stand him.  The last thing I would want to do is be associated with him.  It would ruin my credibility.”  
Jen rolled her eyes.  “Give me a break, Anna.  It’s a show.  I doubt it’s going to mar your scientific record.”
“He’s a glorified tour guide who spent all of last season following me around.”

“I’d like to have him follow me around,” Jen muttered from behind her wineglass.  
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment